Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Maximum Story Size?

I want to make a sizeable (novel-length) narrative, with a lot of branching (overall, there would be three paths: bad ending, neutral ending and best ending, but there'd be asides and the occasional side-quest). I estimate the word-count would come down to about 200k. I'd make use of variables (to store the player character stats and character profile) and also heavy CSS use, like different background images for each "segment" of the story and so on.

My question is, am I going to break Twine 2 size limits doing that? Should I seek another game engine? I very much like Twine and the way it lets me tell stories and I'd rather not use another engine, if at all possible. For the record, I was planning on using Harlowe rather than Snowman.

Comments

• Size can mean two different things:

1. The storage space in Megabytes needed to store a Story Project.
    This depends on which release of Twine 2 you are using:

1a. The hosted release, which uses your web-browser's local storage. The default maximum size is around 5-10 Megabytes depending on the brand.

1b. The installable release, which includes it's own built-in web-browser that has been configured with a maximum local storage size of around 1 Terabyte. (1000000 Megabytes)

2. The number of Passages
    There is no pre-set maximum number allowed that I know of but you will notice that the more you have the longer it may take to do some things like: starting up the application; opening a Story Project; moving around the Passage Map; creating the temporary HTML file used by the Test/Play options; creating a Story HTML file using the Publish to File option; creating a back file using the Archive option; etc.
  • Aha, thank you! That's exactly the information I was looking for.

The release hosted online will be a text-only demo. The final version will be an installable app. So this works fine for me! Thank you very much again. :>
  • isakg wrote: »
    The release hosted online will be a text-only demo. The final version will be an installable app.
    When I say "hosted release" and "installable release" I am talking about the release of the Twine 2 application you are using to edit your story project.

I am not talking about how you plan to make the HTML file created via the Publish to File option available to other people.
  • greyelf wrote: »
    isakg wrote: »
    The release hosted online will be a text-only demo. The final version will be an installable app.
    When I say "hosted release" and "installable release" I am talking about the release of the Twine 2 application you are using to edit your story project.

I am not talking about how you plan to make the HTML file created via the Publish to File option available to other people.

Ohhhh, okay, my bad. I'm using the downloaded Twine app.

A couple of follow-up questions, then: are there any guides to making the Twine story into, like, an app? Or am I limited to it running in a web browser?

Would the final story have to be under 5MB to be playable by the target audience?

Are there any ways of linking separate Twines together via the information in their save-files?

• re: Or am I limited to it running in a web browser
    You can convert a story HTML into an app (iOS, Android, Windows, Stream, etc...) but it is not a simple process, and the information on how to do so is limited and very specific to the app type being targeted.

A number of other people have asked this question before, two of the recent threads are Turn Story Into App and Intel XDX and the Google Play Store.

re: Would the final story have to be under 5MB to be playable by the target audience?
    No. (ish)
    The Publish to File option merges the information about the story's passages into the file created as HTML elements so that Reader's web-browser's local storage is not used for that information.
    On the other hand it (local storage) is being used to store the current value of all the story's variables and the list of Passages the Reader has traversed through while the story is running, but this is not normally a problem.

re: Are there any ways of linking separate Twines together via the information in their save-files?
    Which save files are you talking about (the ones in the folder/directory accessed via the Twine > Show Libraries menu item or the Story HTML file you create using the Publish to File option) and linking in what sense?
  • I'm at 900kb and it is working fairly fine.