Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Using Sidebar in Harlowe Twine 2 like in Twine 1 sugarcube games and other appreance changes?

Hey Twine friends!
I have a few questions regarding the appearance in harlowe 1.2.2!
I want to use the space that is left on the left and right in my twine story to display stats like health and make other Information and links available like settings and Inventory. Sadly Everywhere i look i see it being done in the header and footer, but there is so much space available (in my opinion) at the sides.
Also i don't really like the Font size and i was wondering if i could fit more text to read on one page?
And my last question:
When i am using (for example) the right side for inventory, settings, stats and more, can i remove the Blank left sidebar that is left on the left or widen the Text-container to occupy that space?
Thanks for the Answers!

Comments

• re: extra side-bars
    The are two main reasons why people need to use re-positioned headers and footers to add dynamic content to the side(s) of the main passage area:

1. They want that content to automatically update as the Reader navigates through the story.
    e.g Character description, Time/Day information, etc

2. They want the Reader to be able to interact with (click on) elements of that content.
    e.g Have links to menus like Inventory, Save/Load, etc

Harlowe does not currently have any built-in way add content to it's own side-bar area (the small area at the top left where the Undo / Redo links appear), and even if you use Javascript to add elements in that area those element will be deleted when the Reader navigates to the next passage.

I suggest you read the following three posts for a better understanding:
    Multi-pane Layout, like this one i list inside, but built with Harlowe, please?
    New, need help picking a story format
    Harlowe: CSS Help - Three screen divisions, two with independent scrollbars

re: default font size and more text on one page:
    Harlowe's default font (size and/or family) of is set on two elements using the follow CSS:
    html {
    	font: 100% Georgia, serif;
    }
    tw-story {
    	font-size: 1.5em;
    }

... you could add CSS like the following to your Story Stylesheet area to decrease the size of the font used, but the size of the font is not really the main issue.
    tw-story {
    	font-size: 1.25em;
    }

As explained in the second link I suggested you read the width of the passage area is set at 60% of the width of the current view-port (the visible area within your web-browser window used to render the page), and it is the width of the passage area that is the main limiting factor to how much text you can show on screen.

You could use CSS like the following to increase the width of the passage area but be aware that this will reduce the width of the left are right margins (the width (~=20%) of which are automatically calculated based on the passage area's width) which will also effect Harlowe's own side-bar containing the Undo/Redo links.
    tw-story {
    	width: 70%;
    }

re: your third question:
    yes, see the information above (including linked threads) to questions 1 and 2.