Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Harlowe 2.0.0, Twine 2, Help with whitespacing and embeded Hooks.

Hello there,

Recently new to both programming and Twine. I've been working on a small project now for a month or so. Slowly getting through the macros, trying to deploy them in various ways. I've now gotten to the stage in a project of trying to adjust the spacing, making it look good. I seemed to have reached the tricky area of whitespace and linebreaks.

I am using Harlowe 2.0.0 and Twine 2.

Having followed this discussion:

https://twinery.org/forum/discussion/6316/lists-whitespace-and-seperate-lines-harlowe

I managed to deploy Greyelf's solution, using the backslash, inside the associated hook. This worked great for me, when creating a long quest list, with various (if: )'s. The problem I currently have is, how to escape and suppress a line break, while inside a hook, and execute another hook (this time linked).

This is an example of the current trouble I am having. This example fails in that the [Give the dog a rest] hook looses all spacing with the text above it.
{
(set: $alpha to false)
(if: $alpha)[The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog.]\
(if: $alpha is false)[The lazy dog failed to jump over the quick fox.\

[Give the dog a rest]<rest_dog|
(click-replace: ?rest_dog)[You gave the dog a rest.(set: $alpha to true)]]\
}

The link usually rams up against the other text around it. I've been putting backslashes everywere to see if I can make a difference but I am having no luck. Any help would be appreciated.