Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Issues with passage locations in 2.0, and certain passages not updating

In both the online and downloaded local copies of Twine 2.0, I've run into problems where passages are often disorganised after reopening a project, to the point that some passages can end up off-screen in areas I can't scroll to, such as off the left edge. Is there a way to automatically/force reorganise the layout of passages in Twine 2.0, like there was in 1?

I'm also running into an issue where one passage refuses to accept updates and persistently reverts to an older version of the passage. losing changes made to it. Another old passage created by mistake ('[Stall 6', when I wanted 'Stall 6' - if-statements and subsequent hooks don't play nicely with links) refuses to stay deleted. Are these known issues?

Comments

• I don't know if these issues are known issues, but I can say that I experienced all of what you described: The passages that come back after deletion, the passages what are moved to weird places, the passages that loses text.

It made me regret that I used Twine 2.0 on my last story instead of my regular Twee setup. :(
  • Re: Passages the you cant scroll to
    Two possible ways to pan the Passage/Story Map to see off-screen passages are: 1. Hold down the spacebar and move the mouse; 2. Hold down a clickable mouse wheel and move the mouse.

If you are able to reproduce one/all of these errors, could you first open your browsers Developer Console before doing so and look at what message is display within the Console after reproducing any of the above listed errors as this may explain what is going wrong and help with the debugging / fixing of the issue.
  • The problem is I'm not intentionally dragging them off-screen to inaccessible locations. I'm leaving the current project to the main screen, then re-opening it. A fair amount of the time, the layout of the passages is not the same as previously, and can be entirely messed up, arranged in a way I'd never arranged the passages previously. Sometimes, the new layout of the passages is such that one or more of the passages sit off to the left of the accessible area.

I can't reliably reproduce items being inaccessible, but I have noticed that random/undesired movement of passages usually happens after intentionally moving another passage, closing the project and reopening it. I have a project here where one passage seems to copy the movement of another passage, and tend to randomly just go elsewhere if I move anything else.
  • Feldherren wrote:

some passages can end up off-screen in areas I can't scroll to, such as off the left edge.

There are a few known ways that passages may be driven off-screen (previous thread), and probably a few more as yet unknown.
  • greyelf wrote:

If you are able to reproduce one/all of these errors, could you first open your browsers Developer Console before doing so and look at what message is display within the Console after reproducing any of the above listed errors as this may explain what is going wrong and help with the debugging / fixing of the issue.

Do you mean the Javascript console? Because whatever I try to do, I don't see anything being written in that console.

Another issue that might be related: If your select a couple passages (like 4-5), and try to move them around, you'll notice that, sometimes, they don't all follow the group. I've already reported that issue here: https://bitbucket.org/klembot/twinejs/issue/86/selecting-and-moving-multiple-passages
  • I've also been having both these errors. I've tried to repro the issue with passages reverting to older versions (or possibly just erasing parts of the passage, I'm not sure which) but I can't get it to happen reliably.
  • I'm having what I think is the same problem, probably.

Started my first Twine project in 2.0, and passages absolutely won't stay where I put them.  If I close the project and come back to it, Twine has scattered all the passages, mainly to the upper-leftmost and bottom-rightmost positions.  I can drag them back using the arrow keys to scroll (and scroll and scroll and scroll)  but I can't realistically do that every time I want to reopen the project and work on it. 

Is there any way at all I can salvage the project file?  I effectively can't use it all now.  I would be perfectly happy at this point if the passages would just sit in a grid that had nothing to do with the map of my story; I just can't have a five minute scroll between passages as I'm editing.   
  • First of all, I'm sorry to hear you've been having so much trouble using Twine. I myself haven't seen these problems, so any information that can help narrow down the cause of the problem would be very helpful!

My hunch right now is that there is some error happening during an editing session that is silently causing problems for subsequent changes, so keeping an eye on the browser's JavaScript console, as greyelf suggests, may be helpful. How to do that depends on the browser -- I can give you a pointer on what to do if you tell me what you're using.

I have added a change that will appear in 2.0.2 that should prevent a passage from ever being moved offscreen, no matter the circumstances. In the meantime, there is a way to modify the positions of your passages manually. If you publish your story and then look in the resulting source code, you will see a bunch of <tw-passagedata> tags, one for each passage. The tags have position attributes that are formatted in "x, y" format. You can edit the file and then re-import it.

I realize this is not an ideal solution by far, but I hope it will help you salvage your work.
  • I'm also having this trouble. I spent an hour today re-typing passages that Twine 2 would either delete, revert to an ancient version or teleport off screen.

I'm at 50 passages, the frame rate has dropped to about 2fps (ipad).

I suspect this issue has to do with large projects, because on my test projects that only have a few passages, I don't have these issues.
  • Is performance improved at all if you switch to a medium zoom (i.e. no arrowheads drawn)?

The connection drawing changes in 2.0.1 that improved performance were a quick fix-- there is still considerable low-hanging fruit left that will probably improve performance quite a lot. Prepare to cringe... it currently is updating all connections during a drag, which is of course horribly inefficient. But there were a number of other critical fixes that really needed to get out the door for 2.0.1 and switching from <canvas> to SVG at least moved things in the right direction. I want to do something less brain-dead in a near-future release.

I'll try messing around with a test story with many passages to see if I can reproduce the data loss issues.
  • klembot wrote:

First of all, I'm sorry to hear you've been having so much trouble using Twine. I myself haven't seen these problems, so any information that can help narrow down the cause of the problem would be very helpful!

My hunch right now is that there is some error happening during an editing session that is silently causing problems for subsequent changes, so keeping an eye on the browser's JavaScript console, as greyelf suggests, may be helpful. How to do that depends on the browser -- I can give you a pointer on what to do if you tell me what you're using.

I have added a change that will appear in 2.0.2 that should prevent a passage from ever being moved offscreen, no matter the circumstances. In the meantime, there is a way to modify the positions of your passages manually. If you publish your story and then look in the resulting source code, you will see a bunch of <tw-passagedata> tags, one for each passage. The tags have position attributes that are formatted in "x, y" format. You can edit the file and then re-import it.

I realize this is not an ideal solution by far, but I hope it will help you salvage your work.

Belated thank you for this!

Ultimately, I ended up snagging the text from my project and manually re-creating everything in Old Fashioned Twine one-point-something, but the above tip regarding the <tw-passagedata> tags is one that I'll remember whenever I get around to trying Twine 2 again; that was exactly the sort of workaround I was wanting for the event of passages-going-everywhere emergency.
  • klembot wrote:

First of all, I'm sorry to hear you've been having so much trouble using Twine. I myself haven't seen these problems, so any information that can help narrow down the cause of the problem would be very helpful!

I'm having the same problem with offscreen (inaccessible) passages. I want to try klembot's fix, but I honestly have no idea how to proceed. This is what I've done so far:

1. I've "published to file," which downloads an html file that I click on - this opens the (now playable) file in another browsing tab (I'm using Chrome).

2. I press CTL-U. This opens another tab where I can see all the source code.

3. In this tab I can find the problematic code for the off-screen passage (position="-125,250").

My problems:

1. I don't know how to get to an editable version of the source code.

2. I don't know how (or in what format) to save this file (once I edit it).

3. I'm unsure how to get this file back into Twine 2 (though I suspect it involves the "Import From File" option on the main menu).

All assistance is extremely welcome!

Thanks again!

Devo
  • Here's what to do.
    [list type=decimal]
    Open that HTML file, but in a text editor (Notepad or TextEdit will do fine).
    Search for "-125,250" to find the bad coordinates, then change the negative one to a positive.
    Save your changes.
    Choose Import from the story list and give it the file you just edited.

You'll see a second version of your story in the list, and that one should have the passage back in the right place. If you're happy with the new version, you can delete the previous one from Twine.
  • Can we have a warning when we haven't entered the Title of a new passage please?

I keep adding an orphan passage to do some wizardry and then when I close it I lose everything I wrote. It won't let me close an Untitled Passage with text in it. It just silently deletes the lot - not very user friendly. I'd like an alert box before you scrub my hard work please.

To Reproduce: Click add new passage. Edit said passage (not the title). Close it. Be annoyed your edit has vanished.

This could be a bug, or it could be by design.
  • I've had all the mentioned problems, to recap:

narF wrote:

The passages that come back after deletion, the passages what are moved to weird places, the passages that loses text.

Now I also have the problem that in playmode/testmode some passages show old versions with less content if they are not the most recently updated passage. So, a passage A can show up fine when I just edited it, but then passage B does not. They both can display correctly, but not at the same time it seems. Not all changes trigger the newest version to display: moving or removing text does not seem to count, but adding text makes everything display as the latest edit.

Now I avoid leaving the edit window at all for fear of loosing something. I used to go back and forth to the Story list a lot to create a Twine archive, but then the archived version did not contain my latest changes, and those changes were gone when I got back.

Publish to file is also missing the latest content.

The console in edit mode says:
    Error: A "url" property or function must be specified (17) twine.js:2:13209

or as on another occasion:
    The Web Console logging API (console.log, console.info, console.warn, console.error) has been disabled by a script on this page.

The console in Test mode says:
    mutating the [[Prototype]] of an object will cause your code to run very slowly; instead create the object with the correct initial [[Prototype]] value using Object.create twine_cdn.js line 1 > eval:44:108237
    "Loaded the story (16 passages)" twine_cdn.js line 1 > eval:44:138391
    "Loaded the built-in macros." twine_cdn.js line 1 > eval:44:138391

My set-up
    I am running Twine 2.0.3 with Harlowe 1.01 locally in FF 37.0.1 on a Mac with OSX Yosemite v. 10.10.3

Please let me know if there is any more info I can give you!
  • st33d wrote:

To Reproduce: Click add new passage. Edit said passage (not the title). Close it. Be annoyed your edit has vanished.

I am able to do this without losing the passage text or passage, using Firefox 37.0.1 on Windows 7 pro 64bit.

Which OS (brand / version / 32-64bit) and Browser (brand / version) are you using?
    Have you changed the browser's default settings (security level / privacy mode) and are you running add-ons?

The more information about the OS and the Browser people can give when reporting issues like this one, the easier it is to find what is causing the issue or which OS/Browser combinations the issue exists on.
  • greyelf, my hunch is that this might have something to do with number of passages, number of saves per session, or possibly just the amount of time spent in the Story Editor.

Cinder, can you give us an idea of how many passages you've got, and how long it takes you to notice this bug once you've been editing a story?
  • @nicolem:
    I had been in Edit mode, or had that browser window open, for maybe 6h. It wasn't more than maybe an hour since I'd last done a full story archive when I started to notice that passages were reverting to old content. Now I don't make story archives at all because I don't want to leave Edit mode (I publish to file instead, but stuff ends up missing here too) so it's been maybe 48h. 

I have 13 passages in the story that is currently open and probably 40 in a different story. Most of the 13 passages in the current story are displayed in other passages to create reusable buttons with InspectorCaracal's method:
    http://twinery.org/forum/index.php/topic,2522.0.html

The problem of content going missing in edit mode is noticeable as soon as I leave edit mode and come back. It's usually the same passage that has problems and as soon as I open it I can see if it's gone back in time.

The problem of content in edit mode not showing up in test mode or publish to file shows up as soon as I start test mode or publish to file and run it. Either the first of the second passage will have reverted to an old version.

I have a lot of other tabs open in FF (about 40) in case that is a problem :S

Big thanks for taking the time to reply!
  • Out of curiosity, what's the reported "space available" near the bottom of the side-bar?
  • Developments!

I left edit mode to check this
    TheMadExile wrote:

Out of curiosity, what's the reported "space available" near the bottom of the side-bar?

(which was 99% space available)

...and when I got back some old passages showed up again. Two of the passages are older versions of the two passages that now won't display correctly in test/play mode. Checking their contents showed that this was what was showing up in testmode, not the new ones with completely different names.

It seems that one of the passages I deleted was marked as the starting passage, and continued to act as one after being deleted even though I visually had another starting point in edit mode.

If I leave the ghost passages and unmark the ghost starting point can leave edit mode and come back without losing anything. It's a little odd but I can live with it.

To round off I just want to say thank you for the quick response!