Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

saving in harlowe

I really like the Harlowe format, but I can't find a progress saving macro or function anywhere. I'd like to make a longer game in harlowe, but without saving, the player must start over from the begining, every time he opens the game, wich is not ideal.
(I'm making a long tale for my kids, to practice reading, but I don't want them sitting in front of the computer too long, so It would be nice to have some progress saving option).
I know, that Sugarcube can save, so if there is no other option, I will change to that format, but I learned how to do things in Harlowe already, and I like the format very much, so I prefer to stay with it, if possible)

Comments

• According to the Harlowe overview the future version 1.1.0 will have save and load game macros.
  • That's good news! Thanks!
  • According to the repository (https://bitbucket.org/_L_/harlowe/overview), I can download the 1.1.0 version of Harlowe. Is there a way to install it into Twine2?
  • note: The following assumes you are running the downloadable version of Twine 2.0.3

First you will have to download a copy of the Harlowe source code from the repository.

Next, as explained here, you will need to install Nodejs, NPM and Grunt.

Then, as explained in point 4. of the other post, you use the grunt runtime command to create a new version of the Harlowe format.js file.

Lastly you navigate to your local storyformats\Harlowe directory, rename the existing format.js file you find there and then copy your new format.js into the directory.

When you next open the Twine 2 application you will be using your own copy of Harlowe instead of the version that came with Twine 2.0.3.
  • Thank you again! It sounds good, now I can test the Harlowe saving method too.
  • What I don't understand (and sorry if the answer is obvious--I do have other things I'm good at. Maybe I just suck at asking questions), is if all of those above steps only exist to just generate a new format.js.... then why not someone who already has all of that installed, just generate one and post it as a zip?

Or am I missing something?

--Sage.
  • I would guess it is because version 1.1.0 of Harlowe is still a work in progress.

So whom every created a zip file alpha release of the format.js file would need to keep the zip file up to date on an almost daily basis.
  • and THAT is exactly why my questions are not the strongest---Insight!

Thank you.

Any chance you could pop out a format.js that I could use from today's release? (or have I again asked a stupid question?)

I PROMISE NOT TO ASK YOU FOR ONE LITERALLY EVERY DAY.
    ;)
  • You haven't asked "a stupid question" lol

You have on the other hand asked the wrong person, you need someone who actually has setup their machine to build Harlowe's format.js file. *smile*
  • Wait... So you mean to tell me that you knew all those steps literally off the top of your head?! That's insane.

Awesome... but insane.

Nice work.

I'll tell you what... I have something you may like. I will shoot you an email or a PM (if this forum has the tools for that).
  • At one time in the past I did have it installed/setup on this machine but have since deleted it.