Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lifeline and Twine

Hi guys,

I downloaded a game called Lifeline, I was impressed by the simplicity of it. Its on android and apple watch as well.

However, I am completely new but inspired to this type of games.

Upon stumbling the web found twine, and now I got few topics would love to know your thoughts about.

1. In lifeline, the character you are talking to sends broadcasts -The passages- with delays to simulate that the character is actually writing to you real time but they don't move to another passage page. Each passage is actually appearing on top of each other passage.

Is there is a way to achieve this? I know there is a macro (live and goto), but it moves to another passage.

2. There are two graphical buttons for choices. I think that is possible to create in twine, what do you think the best way to handle it.

3. There is typing effect text that appears before each passage comes in. Would that be possible to create?

Comments

• Welcome to Twine.
    Yes... all those things can be (and have been) done and talked about on the forum. You can just run a search and you will find everything you need.
    One tip I can give you, decide on your Story Format first and then make sure that your searches are giving you answers in the right format.

Then, once you have chosen your Story Format, if you find that you hit a snag, make sure to tell us which format you are using since all of the answers are specific.

Good luck.
    Sage.
  • 1. Try Twine 1's Jonah story format real quick and see if that's what you're seeking. That's an exact description of what it does.

2. Sure. Buttons are basic HTML and CSS. Since Twine outputs HTML files, it's certainly possible. It isn't too hard to make regular links look like buttons, which is probably what I would do. However, the SugarCube story format has a <<button>> macro to make it even easier, but of course that won't help if you're using Jonah.

3. Typing like a typewriter? Check this thread out: http://twinery.org/forum/discussion/3033/is-there-a-way-to-make-text-appear-as-rpg-games#latest

I'd get into more specifics, but without knowing which story format you'll end up using, it's hard to do so.
  • @Sharpe,

Thanks very much. I was researching all over the past day how to accomplish all these cosmetic and functional stuff I posted.

For the story format, I am looking at sugarcube because of the save option.

I just tried Jonah, and yes it does serve the purpose of conversation passage beautifully, I will just need to figure out doing the delayed passages to appear without clicking on any button (i found that is possible somehow with harlowe and sugarcube). As I am a bit hesitated to use twine 1 now.

• edited July 2015
    It is also an interesting subject that Lifeline in Apple watch is compact responsive, would love to find out more about responsive design on the sugarcube or other storyformats
  • alibahman wrote: »
    As I am a bit hesitated to use twine 1 now.
    Why?
  • Sharpe wrote: »
    alibahman wrote: »
    Why?

I am thinking that there might be some customization features that I would need in twine 2 and won't be available in twine 1
  • Twine 2 was sideways development, a rewrite from scratch, not additional development on top of Twine 1. It's higher version number does not denote that it's "better" than Twine 1. At least at this point, the reverse is largely true, Twine 2 is the laggard both in features and overall polish. That is being addressed, naturally, but for now….
  • edited July 2015
    Twine 1 actually has more customization features than Twine 2.

I am writing a big visual novel project, and using Twine 1 specifically because Twine 2 does not allow the use of GSAP (an animation plugin), and is harder to insert global divs (needing JavaScript rather than just inserting them into the header).

Twine 2 seems to me an attempt to pursue a certain streamlining, but in doing so it has cut out several powerful features.
  • Claretta wrote: »
    Twine 1 actually has more customization features than Twine 2.

I am writing a big visual novel project, and using Twine 1 specifically because Twine 2 does not allow the use of GSAP (an animation plugin), and is harder to insert global divs (needing JavaScript rather than just inserting them into the header).

Twine 2 seems to me an attempt to pursue a certain streamlining, but in doing so it has cut out several powerful features.

Let us have a look when its ready ;)
  • Twine 2 was sideways development, a rewrite from scratch, not additional development on top of Twine 1. It's higher version number does not denote that it's "better" than Twine 1. At least at this point, the reverse is largely true, Twine 2 is the laggard both in features and overall polish. That is being addressed, naturally, but for now….

Agreed. Thanks and great job on sugarcube btw
  • alibahman wrote: »
    Sharpe wrote: »
    alibahman wrote: »
    Why?

I am thinking that there might be some customization features that I would need in twine 2 and won't be available in twine 1
    No.
  • edited July 2015
    So guys, I am using now Twine 1.4 with Jonah format. I love it

So far I have achieved all what I needed. From conversation type story to cosmetic page theme, text effects CSS and typewriting effects.

I have few things that i'm looking forward to find a way to solve:

1. Since Jonah puts all passages in one page, sometimes I want to remove one particular passage from the page. I am adding loading effect between passages then I want to remove them after the next passage is loaded.

2. I'm using Choice macros, but I'm not able to add an HTML button to the choices, could not find any way to do that. Also I want buttons to be permanently active after they have been clicked, even after closing the browser and coming back again. :))

3. Is it possible for Jonah to save the current stage where you reach? I have removed bookmark from the story because it allows you to go back. But I just want to save the progress without the option of going back and choosing again. Even I removed Restart on the top.

Hope these are possible to do.