Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there a way to properly use Twine 2? I can't alter $var when player clicks on links to passage

edited August 2015 in Help! with 2.0
I've tried Sugarcube (which is very well documented but apparently has a bug and isn't supported) and Harlowe (which has shitty documentation that only helps you if you already know Twine 1) but I cannot figure out a way to write code that will allow a user to click a link (which alters/increments a variable) *AND* have it properly display the arrows connecting passages in Twine2 editor.

I've not used Twine1, and I assumed Twine 2 was the thing I should start with, but now it appears to be very buggy. Should I just download twine 1 instead?

It seems so weird that Twine 2 has been out for so long and this basic functionality (clicking a link to a new passage which sets/alters a variable) is not displaying correctly in the editor for neither Harlowe nor Sugarcube. I feel like I must be missing something.

Comments

• Bridger wrote: »
    I've tried Sugarcube (which is very well documented but apparently has a bug and isn't supported) […]
    Don't conflate the IDE (Twine 2) with the story format (SugarCube). It's not a bug in the former, not the latter.

Bridger wrote: »
    I've not used Twine1, and I assumed Twine 2 was the thing I should start with, but now it appears to be very buggy. Should I just download twine 1 instead?
    Unfortunately, Twine 2 currently has, and will likely continue to have for a while to come, many rough edges. Additionally, Twine 2 was developed separately from Twine 1 and is not a direct update. Twine 1, regardless of the lower version number, is not inferior to Twine 2 (as you might assume because of the version).

As it stands, the only things Twine 2 has that Twine 1 does not is Harlowe and the ability to work on mobile devices. Naturally, that works in reverse as well and Twine 1 has several features that Twine 2 does not.

Frankly, you might indeed be happier with Twine 1. Though, I'd probably advise avoiding the vanilla story formats as there are issues. You can get versions of SugarCube and Snowman (maybe others) for Twine 1, so I'd suggest using one of those.
  • OK, good to know I'm not missing anything. I'll work with Twine 1 and Sugarcube I think.
  • The missing link between passages and auto-create missing passage based issues are not just limited to SugarCube's setter markup link, any non basic markup link has the same problems.

eg. A link using Harlowe's (goto: "Passsage Name") macro has the same issues:
    (link: "Next Passage")[(goto: "Next Passage")]