Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LF complex Twine game recommendations!

Hi everyone! I hope it is okay to ask for this type of recommendation.

I have played a few Twine games but they have all been pretty simple, mostly focused on the story-telling. While I love this type of Twine I know that it is possible to create fairly complex game mechanics with the engine.

It's this type of more complex game that I am looking for. It would be especially cool, but not necessary, to know which format the game uses. Mostly I am just looking for excellent examples of what Twine can create, mechanics-wise.

Does anyone have suggestions?

Thank you~!

Comments

• My game will fit the bill when it is released but I am still working on it. Here's a screenshot.

ATiolQD.jpg
  • @Claretta - That looks extremely promising! I love the styling, too. Very much looking forward to playing!
  • edited August 2016
    Also I use SugarCube with a lot of javascript customisation.
  • Ah, that's good to know. I assumed it must be SugarCube but thank you for clarifying. For my own games I intended to start simple but I think I will use SugarCube in order to get used to its syntax. Thank you!
  • I would suggest Tundra.
    It is really quite beautiful.

Do play until you get to the bit with a map.
    The initial exploration doesn't look very complex, but the game changes quite a bit afterwards.

There was also a game with a rabbit (i think it was a rabbit) exploring a 3D world that was made with Twine and really advanced, but I can't find it anymore.
  • Melyanna wrote: »
    There was also a game with a rabbit (i think it was a rabbit) exploring a 3D world that was made with Twine and really advanced, but I can't find it anymore.
    You may be thinking about, (do not) forget by @lectronicelocal forum thread.

Yes, that's it! Thank you! :)
    I forgot about a game called (do not) forget... I am slightly embarassed now...
  • I'll check these out! Thanks so much!
  • why do you even need to play twine games I mean twine is a good starting point for programmers, but players should be able to realise the issues in amateur made games, want a great game in general play swords and souls (it's getting a sequel in 2017) or rogue soul 2 they're both really awesome, fuck story a gamer wants gameplay
  • edited September 2016
    It's not the tool that determines professionalism or quality of gameplay. There are very well selling games on steam that could easily be made in twine eg long live the queen.
  • edited September 2016
    Claretta wrote: »
    It's not the tool that determines professionalism or quality of gameplay. There are very well selling games on steam that could easily be made in twine eg long live the queen.
    to explain it to you I will give you an example:Sure you can mow down trees with an axe but a bulldozer is much more effective, sure you can use twine but I'm pretty sure the pros use the pro tools, it just doesn't hurt to do so, so why not right, and btw your game looks op I'm working on an rpg gameplay concentrated game too, let's see who can make the better one
  • edited September 2016
    Professionals use the right tool for the job and your examples aren't text games. It sounds like you don't even want to make a text game, so why are you here?

I use twine because html is better for text than unity or unreal and i don't want 3d. There are certainly professionals on my team and the sound design rivals AAA games.

Unless you can put down a coherent argument about why unity or unreal is better than html for text...

Plus there's the simple fact that there are thousands of crap games released every year with unreal and unity, and also very good games released using simple engines. Two other examples are Stardew Valley and Game Dev Tycoon. The engine you use has a negigble effect if you can do everything needed with it, as html can for text.

• But then again, what does "professional" really mean? :smile:
  • edited September 2016
    When we have hits like Stardew Valley being made by a college grad using a freeware game engine I dunno.
  • edited September 2016
    When we have hits like Stardew Valley being made by a college grad using a freeware game engine I dunno.

never heard of Stardew Valley in my life (Searches google,farming simulation seriously), that out of the way it's not that I want to make a text game, it's because simply I don't need to include graphics (I could but its not necessary) so to save time and effort I decided to make a text game now for your 2nd argument I never said that unreal or unity were better at making text games but the op is asking for great games made in twine so I asked the question why?? why look for amateur games when you can play better games online like swords and souls or rogue soul 2, you're arguing in an argument that doesn't exist in the first place
  • I think OP is looking for examples of above-average Twine games with complex mechanics because he or she is interested in creating one too. I'm sure Swords and Souls and Rogue Souls 2 are both shining examples in their field, but the truth remains that they won't do jack towards teaching you how to make Twine games.
  • edited September 2016
    Wraithling wrote: »
    I think OP is looking for examples of above-average Twine games with complex mechanics because he or she is interested in creating one too. I'm sure Swords and Souls and Rogue Souls 2 are both shining examples in their field, but the truth remains that they won't do jack towards teaching you how to make Twine games.
    ooh the op is trying to learn how to make one, open sorcery is great way too big but its great
  • Wraithling wrote: »
    I think OP is looking for examples of above-average Twine games with complex mechanics because he or she is interested in creating one too. I'm sure Swords and Souls and Rogue Souls 2 are both shining examples in their field, but the truth remains that they won't do jack towards teaching you how to make Twine games.

and my game is based on swords on souls it gives lots of great ideas and mechanics which I was able to implement relatively easily onto twine: shop, consumables, level up, gear and upgrading gear, survival mode, story mode, achievements, stats, skills and upgrading skills I was able to implement all of these sure it took me about a week but it was also my first week using twine or programming
  • edited September 2016
    Khaloodxp wrote: »

never heard of Stardew Valley in my life (Searches google,farming simulation seriously), that out of the way it's not that I want to make a text game, it's because simply I don't need to include graphics (I could but its not necessary) so to save time and effort I decided to make a text game now for your 2nd argument I never said that unreal or unity were better at making text games but the op is asking for great games made in twine so I asked the question why?? why look for amateur games when you can play better games online like swords and souls or rogue soul 2, you're arguing in an argument that doesn't exist in the first place

I used Stardew Valley because it was made by a developer with no previous experience, using a freeware game engine, and sold over a million copies. Given that it sold over a million copies, I'm not sure why you'd respond to that saying "Farming simulation seriously?". It's successful and that's all that counts.

Your argument was that people should only look at games made with "pro" tools if they want to look at how to make successful games, but I'd look at Stardew Valley over any "pro" game if I want to look at how to make a successful indie game on a budget.
  • edited September 2016
    Khaloodxp wrote: »

I used Stardew Valley because it was made by a developer with no previous experience, using a freeware game engine, and sold over a million copies.

Your argument was that people should only look at games made with "pro" tools if they want to look at how to make successful games, but I'd look at Stardew Valley over any "pro" game made with unreal if I want to look at how to make a successful indie game on a budget.
    I'm thinking your reading too much into what everyone is commenting, I am saying that the op should look at big hit games (pro games) really popular games, rather than look at our amateur twine games for ideas and stardew valley is a big hit game (since it sold over a million copies) isn't it, you don't get my argument I'm not talking about the tool I'm talking about the people (I said a good tool won't hurt) but the twine community is mostly comprised of amateurs if the op wants ideas xe should try big hit games and see why people like them so much then try to implement these features into the game (I'm basing my game over SandS cause over 2 million different players have played it and its getting a sequel)
  • edited September 2016
    I believe that coyohti is simply looking for what's possible, complexity-wise, within the Twine story formats, which is why they asked for "complex Twine game recommendations". They're not looking for "game ideas" in general. The opening post seems to be fairly clear on that point.

How this devolved into a pissing contest over the relative worth of amateur made games I don't know, but it's a pointless tangent that isn't helping anyone. Especially, since it's been off tangent from your first post, @Khaloodxp—you're also wrong, but I'm not going to bother engaging on that point.

Could we get back to the point of coyohti's thread, please?
  • edited September 2016
    My apologies, i was just trying to point out that if you want to see what's capable from twine then you look specifically at text games. I was utterly confused as to what value people would get from playing non-text games.

Making a good text game requires a good hard look at how to use the text engagingly. Few hit games will teach you how to do this.

80 days is worth a look. While not twine, it could be replicated well enough.
  • @Khaloodxp - I'm not entirely sure what point you are trying to make here. I feel that I pretty clearly requested examples of complex Twine games not examples of complex games, overall. You are also assuming a lot about me and my level of knowledge. I am a gamer and old enough to have played Infocom titles as they were released. *shakes her cane* I have plenty of experience in that regard. In addition, my partner is deeply involved in the game industry having worked titles ranging from triple-A to indie in various capacities. He has even made (non-complex!) Twine games which have received recognition in the industry. One would be hard-pressed to avoid having a solid knowledge of games and what it takes to make them in this household.

As an artist myself I know it is never the tool but the skill in handling it that makes great art. I've seen fantastic pieces of artwork done with a humble ballpoint pen. It's not a question of if Twine can make a great game - a game can be great at any level of complexity - I just happen to be specifically interested in examples of people "pushing the boundaries" of what one typically sees done with the engine.

Anyway, that's enough of my part in, as TME well-described, this pissing contest.

• edited September 2016
    If anyone wishes to follow my development, I post way more frequent updates (once a week or more) at https://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?87285-The-Dreamers-Wake-A-strategy-puzzle-game/page19

Here is an overview of gameplay: https://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?87285-The-Dreamers-Wake-A-strategy-puzzle-game&p=2019545&viewfull=1#post2019545

In general, complex gameplay comes from overlapping lots of different systems, that may be shallow in themselves. Each gameplay elements only needs (and should) do one small thing really well, but if you have 5-10 simple things working together, you get good depth.

I think a mistake people can sometimes make in designing games is they put too much emphasis on one mechanic and try to develop it to the exclusion of everything else. I believe really good games come from layers. Because of this, to make a complex game you don't need a powerful engine.
  • I really recommend Open Sorcery which is a hella cool story in which you're an AI program. It's really fun and sweet and sad in some bits, and I've played it so many times recently it's ridiculous. It's kinda addicting. :P
    Melyanna wrote: »

Yes, that's it! Thank you! :)
    I forgot about a game called (do not) forget... I am slightly embarassed now...

If anyone's interested, looks very much like the art for this was done using Marmoset's Hexels... have owned that program for a while but never got round to actually making much with it.
  • coyohti wrote: »
    Hi everyone! I hope it is okay to ask for this type of recommendation.

I have played a few Twine games but they have all been pretty simple, mostly focused on the story-telling. While I love this type of Twine I know that it is possible to create fairly complex game mechanics with the engine.

It's this type of more complex game that I am looking for. It would be especially cool, but not necessary, to know which format the game uses. Mostly I am just looking for excellent examples of what Twine can create, mechanics-wise.

Does anyone have suggestions?

Thank you~!

Mine don't look as good as Clarretta's screenshot, but you could see if you can find anything cool about my games on my website:

www.kieronrana.com
  • coyohti wrote: »
    @Khaloodxp - I'm not entirely sure what point you are trying to make here. I feel that I pretty clearly requested examples of complex Twine games not examples of complex games, overall. You are also assuming a lot about me and my level of knowledge. I am a gamer and old enough to have played Infocom titles as they were released. *shakes her cane* I have plenty of experience in that regard. In addition, my partner is deeply involved in the game industry having worked titles ranging from triple-A to indie in various capacities. He has even made (non-complex!) Twine games which have received recognition in the industry. One would be hard-pressed to avoid having a solid knowledge of games and what it takes to make them in this household.

As an artist myself I know it is never the tool but the skill in handling it that makes great art. I've seen fantastic pieces of artwork done with a humble ballpoint pen. It's not a question of if Twine can make a great game - a game can be great at any level of complexity - I just happen to be specifically interested in examples of people "pushing the boundaries" of what one typically sees done with the engine.

Anyway, that's enough of my part in, as TME well-described, this pissing contest.

I seem to have misunderstood you, my apologies, from the twines I have seen so far all of them share one aspect they're extremely boring and ridiculously long, I mean a twine is an interactive fiction right so why does the stories suck so bad, if your looking to make a good twine either really focus on the story (open sorcery was kinda fun) or forget the story totally just ignore it 100% and concentrate on making fun gameplay (that's what mario did and it was pretty fun), I myself am not a writer so I am creating an rpg where the story is there just for amusement really, I mean all the elements of an rpg could be easily enough implemented into a twine, just forget the character designs (I mean to a gamer they really just make the game 10% better) because they're too much of a pain, that's my advice because while games like (do not) forget may look semi-impressive it is super boring
  • Claretta wrote: »
    My game will fit the bill when it is released but I am still working on it. Here's a screenshot.

ATiolQD.jpg

Where'dya get the image? Did you make it yourself and set it as a background image, or is there some proper awesome coding going on.
  • edited September 2016
    Artists drew them. there are several layers of images there. There's lots of different art for different locations, e.g.

Cn7yB5U.jpg

GYFUjh6.png

7CIfL7c.png