Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How "solid" is Twine?

I've been trying lots of things in Twine/Harlowe, and seems to be a powerful tool if taken seriously (by seriously, I mean: a tool to create really deep and complex games).

But I'm not a game developer, more like a curious, and there's plenty of options like Ren'Py. So can someone experienced tell me if Twine is really that "solid", and able to develop complex games? For example: a huge adventure with inventory system, lots of ways to complete it, battle and drop/equip items systems, etc?

Or after a bunch of code it will became sluggish? (I tried a page with dozens of if and either statements, and its visible slow to open.

Thanks in advance for any opinions.

Comments

• I'm not very experienced with Twine (yet) but I would say that if I was considering to make a game such as you described I would probably look more into engines such as Game Maker, RPG Maker, or Unity.
  • edited August 2016
    Here is my game playing with animation, and as you can see the FPS is pretty good:

If you want to have good performance you'll need to do some optimisations:

1. Run it as an app, not as a browser page. This can be achieved by packaging the html into nw.js. Browsers are pretty bad at running complex stuff without slowdown, especially if you have other programs running in the background.

2. Look very carefully at when the DOM change happens. As you can see in my video, the art animations and the passage text change happen at different time. This is a deliberate strategy to avoid everything being loaded at once. Especially since text rendering is quite a heavy process, so I try to not have too much going on while the game is rendering the passage text.

TBH I think Harlowe is pretty bad for this kind of timed optimization. It doesn't give you anywhere near the tools SugarCube does for managing the DOM. Harlowe is really only designed for simple, out of the box games - its creators drew a line and decided it would only be for certain types of games. On the other hand, SugarCube gives you precise control over when things are processed into the DOM, is capable of splitting its <<if>> calculations and text rendering into different points, and has a lot better history optimization. In my biased but not inexperienced opinion, this makes SugarCube (and Cradle, see point 4) the only format truly capable of complex games without a hard performance limit.

3. Keep the code optimised per page. There's no feasible use case I can think of for the test you did, of dozens of if/else statements loaded at once into the DOM. My game is very complex, but page lengths are short (as they should be to keep player interest high). Therefore, I don't have essays with lengthy code on each screen - I just do on each screen what I have to do, and that's it. If I need to do more complex stuff, I space out the interactions over a couple of seconds.

4. If you want, convert it into a Unity game using the Cradle Unity plugin. If you already know Unity, or are willing to learn, that would be a good option when starting from scratch. Cradle is its own Twine story format.

Twine is much more powerful than Ren'Py, if you're handy with CSS and Javascript.
  • Thank you. I saw people saying Unity is kind of "waste of resources" since I don't know how to use it and would need to learn. I coded some basic things in Ren'Py and seems easy to learn.

The nw.js is a good tip, I was really thinking how to protect the source code.
  • edited August 2016
    nw.js lets you obscure the code, but doesn't protect it exactly. But I wouldn't bother trying to hide it beyond the default nw.js obfusication -- most people won't have any reason to look at the source code and it's a waste of time trying to protect against hardcore hackers.

Ren'Py is good for simple stuff but CSS gives you far more control over animation and graphics if you're good at it. Of course, it can take a lot of time to learn CSS, but there are lots of good books on it.
  • edited August 2016
    Sure, the "protection" idea was more intented to people trying to see things he or she should not (like multiple endings, custom dialogs, etc).
  • I would say that Harlowe is good if you want to make a chose your own adventure book.
    You can add dungeon exploring and RPG elements (think of the old Joe Dever's Lone Wolf games), with an inventory system, hit points, etc, but it can't get much more complext than that without struggling a bit.

If you are aiming to achieve something similar to what Claretta has, than SugarCube is a good choice. Much better than Ren'py.
    The only drawback (of all twine formats) is that if you have a zillion passages, it can get a bit difficult to handle them.

If you want to build a traditional JRPG, then go RPGMaker as it's both easy to learn and very complete.

Anything more complex is probably better handled with Unity, or Cradle.
  • Melyanna wrote: »
    The only drawback (of all twine formats) is that if you have a zillion passages, it can get a bit difficult to handle them.
    I think you may be confusing the difficulty with handling many passages in either of the GUI based Twine applications (i.e. the Passage Map) with that of the story formats.

There are command line tools for generating a Twine Story HTML file from (Twee-based) text files which you can edit using your favourite Text Editor/IDE, which makes handling a large Twine/Twee project no different than handling one in many other programming languages.
  • Melyanna wrote: »
    If you want to build a traditional JRPG, then go RPGMaker as it's both easy to learn and very complete.
    I'm more focused in text, images only here and there to illustrate something. I think Ren'Py is very close to what I need, so as Twine. Maybe I work on both, choosing one later.

I'm struggling A LOT on my inventory and drop/equip system. Maybe I should try hard with SugarCube... Harlowe is so easy and fun that I don't even considered other format.

Most of the time I'm typing on Notepad++, then pasting on Twine. It has some issues for me with large blocks of code/text (slowing when typing, and there's no Ctrl Z sometimes...).
  • Handling large passages is an organisational issue. After working on my game for so long I remember exactly where everyone is, but if someone were to load up my game for the first time in the editor, it'd probably look like a confusing mess.
  • greyelf wrote: »
    Melyanna wrote: »
    I think you may be confusing the difficulty with handling many passages in either of the GUI based Twine applications (i.e. the Passage Map) with that of the story formats.

Ah, yes, thank you! That's exactly what I meant, but expressed it horribly.

• edited September 2016
    A question: so, do you consider Sugarcube to give better performance than Harlowe? This is extremely important for me, since my Harlowe game performs terribly: each passage has a lot of displays, ifs and datamaps (on the other hand it has zero presentational macros). I'd consider porting it to Sugarcube if I could expect a serious improvement (or the chance of tweaking it to get that improvement).
  • Menti wrote: »
    A question: .... each passage has a lot of displays, ifs and datamaps
    Without knowing exactly what you doing with all those displays/ifs/datamaps, and what you mean by "a lot" it is hard to answer your question.

A possible cause if you are using either complex collection objects (eg. a data-map/array that reference other data-maps/arrays) or large collections, or many collections, is the fact that each time you navigate from one passage to another a 'copy' of the values of all 'known' variables is made (known as state), and it is this 'copy' that is made available to the new passage being shown. The coping process takes time and each of these 'states' take up memory, these 'states' are used by the History system and are what makes Undo possible.

This process is also part of SugarCube but it allows the Author to control the maximum number of states stored.
  • greyelf wrote: »
    A possible cause if you are using either complex collection objects

Yes.
    or large collections

Yups.
    or many collections

Aaaand yeah. Gimme all of that. Also my data is nested, that is, datamaps inside datamaps or arrays inside datamaps.
    The coping process takes time and each of these 'states' take up memory, these 'states' are used by the History system and are what makes Undo possible.

This process is also part of SugarCube but it allows the Author to control the maximum number of states stored.

Very interesting. Disabling the history could be useful for me, since I don't need it and Harlowe's history forces me to minimize the content in my variables, in order to not reach the localStorage limit.

Later today I'm trying to write a basic description of the algorithm my passages run. I've tried to debug it but it's very difficult to know which part is the cause for the bad performance (maybe the loops, maybe the display macros, maybe the datamaps...).
  • With twine you do have multiple story formats to experiment with. I use sugarcube and that suits my needs. I initially started with lots of data in a single passage but then I broke it down into more manageable chunks.

http://twinery.org/forum/discussion/6640/dos-like-interface#latest

I would say look at the various formats and then do basic "tech demo" style games.

• Menti wrote: »
    Disabling the history could be useful for me...
    Harlowe does not have an option for disabling/limiting it's History system, only SugarCube does.

If any of the data within your object structure is reference only, as in it does not change for the complete life-cycle of the story, then it would be better to not store that data in story $variables and to store it somewhere else like within your own Javascript Namespace or if you are using SugarCube then possibly within the setup special variable
  • That's a neat suggestion @greyelf but sadly not for me. The main bulk of data changes every single turn.

I've posted a lengthy explanation of my system here. I'd be grateful if anyone could help, but I understand it if it's too complex/abstract/esoteric/long. Anyway, thanks!
  • @greyelf One question, after something that I have experimented.

You suggest big complex datamaps impact performance. What would perform better: one datamap with 25 records, or 25 different variables? Or the Sugarcube equivalent?

Thanks!
  • Simple answer is I don't know, I have never bothered to run a performance/resource usage test like that in either story format but it is generally cheaper (in time and resources) to copy a primitive data type like an integer than it is to clone an object (native, map, array, etc..) because of the extra overhead associated with any object.

I believe there are two main points where performance could become an issue: when you are processing the data (looping, etc) and during the story format's History tracking process.

From what I understand Harlowe and SugarCube both track the state of all currently known variables for each passage visited, although they do it in slightly different ways:

1. Harlowe creates a new empty variable container for each passage visited, each container contains a reference to the previous container as well as references to the current state of any variables used in the construction of the current passage.

2. SugarCube creates a clone of the previous variable container (contains the current state of all currently known variables) and associates the clone with the current passage being shown.
  • After a few days introducing errors and fixing them, I can finally say that the suggestions from @greyelf and @TheMadExile were totally on target.

I had some very big datamaps (like 50 values with other datamaps or arrays nested inside) defined from the very beginning of the game although they were empty, names with no values.

I redefined them as totally empty datamaps (no names) and introduced some checks so that an non-existant pair wouldn't cause an error. I had never thought that the big datamap could slow the game more than the extra ifs. Now the game plays faster than it ever has.

Gentlemen, I take off my hat to you.
  • edited September 2016
    I can't seem to see the purpose of using big datamaps or arrays in a Twine game. My game is very c omplex, but I do everything just using <<if>> statements and my game runs perfectly with no slowdowns. I often get the impression people try to overcomplicate their code just for the point of overcomplication.
  • edited September 2016
    To me, a chain of ifs is way more complicated to understand that a datamap. My game has 50 rooms, each room needs to have an array where the engine can put choices. What can be simpler than (datamap: "room1", (a:), "room2", (a:))?

The problem is that my game has nothing to do with the branching CYOA that Twine was designed for.

I must add that every single complication I introduced to the original mechanic I started writing almost one year ago was the result of a narrative requirement I understood. Like not having the same character in two places at the same time, or being able to notice stuff that happens in another room near you. Is there a way of tracking the location of 10 characters without a datamap containing the name of the character and the room they are in? I really feel that my engine can be made more efficient, but hardly simpler.
  • edited September 2016
    I would just write it from the perspective of the character.

<<set $unclebob to 1>>

means unclebob is in room 1. So for 10 characters, that means all that's needed is 10 variables to track all their movements.

<<if $currentroom is 1 and $unclebob is 1>>"I'll be back"<</if>>
  • Claretta wrote: »
    Here is my game playing with animation, and as you can see the FPS is pretty good:

If you want to have good performance you'll need to do some optimisations:

1. Run it as an app, not as a browser page. This can be achieved by packaging the html into nw.js. Browsers are pretty bad at running complex stuff without slowdown, especially if you have other programs running in the background.

2. Look very carefully at when the DOM change happens. As you can see in my video, the art animations and the passage text change happen at different time. This is a deliberate strategy to avoid everything being loaded at once. Especially since text rendering is quite a heavy process, so I try to not have too much going on while the game is rendering the passage text.

TBH I think Harlowe is pretty bad for this kind of timed optimization. It doesn't give you anywhere near the tools SugarCube does for managing the DOM. Harlowe is really only designed for simple, out of the box games - its creators drew a line and decided it would only be for certain types of games. On the other hand, SugarCube gives you precise control over when things are processed into the DOM, is capable of splitting its <<if>> calculations and text rendering into different points, and has a lot better history optimization. In my biased but not inexperienced opinion, this makes SugarCube (and Cradle, see point 4) the only format truly capable of complex games without a hard performance limit.

3. Keep the code optimised per page. There's no feasible use case I can think of for the test you did, of dozens of if/else statements loaded at once into the DOM. My game is very complex, but page lengths are short (as they should be to keep player interest high). Therefore, I don't have essays with lengthy code on each screen - I just do on each screen what I have to do, and that's it. If I need to do more complex stuff, I space out the interactions over a couple of seconds.

4. If you want, convert it into a Unity game using the Cradle Unity plugin. If you already know Unity, or are willing to learn, that would be a good option when starting from scratch. Cradle is its own Twine story format.

Twine is much more powerful than Ren'Py, if you're handy with CSS and Javascript.

Dude, your game's gonna be AWESOME! Do you know when it'll be finished?
  • Claretta wrote: »

Oh, wow! It's gonna be awesome by then! Will you release a beta?