Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Don't Move"?

Hello, Twine Community! I just posted this as a discussion, but I realized I should ask it as a question.

I am a relatively new Twine writer, and I'm currently working on a big project. I wish to adapt the video game Until Dawn into a text game personalized using my friends and I as the main characters.

One major gameplay factor of the game is the "Don't Move" component, in which you must hold your controller completely still. Your ability to remain still will affect the story and could make a huge difference.

I am wondering how I could make something like this in a textual format. Making choices "Move" and "Don't move" seem too simple and obvious, so is there a more complex way to implement this into Twine 2.0.11, Harlowe 1.2.2?

Comments

• There's a mouseover macro that activates if you move your mouse onto certain text, and a mouseout macro that activates if you move your mouse off of certain text. Those might be helpful. I'm not sure how you would get them to have the same feel as the Until Dawn component as I've never played that game. But maybe you could have a countdown start when you mouse over certain text, and if you mouse out of the text before the counter ends then the story changes.

I tried this and it seems to work.
    Don't move!
    {(mouseover: "Don't move!")[(set: $counter to 10)
    You have |amount>[$counter] seconds left!
    (live: 1s)[
    (set: $counter to it - 1)
    (replace: ?amount)[$counter]
    (if: $counter is 0)[(goto: "Stayed")]]
    (mouseout: "Don't move!")[(if: $counter is not 0)[(goto: "Moved")]]
    ]}

• Hey there! I asked a very similar question for Twine 1 awhile ago, but it could still be relevant to you. Here is the thread. I hope it's useful to you!
  • Elaborating on this one, anyone know how to make a tooltip appear on mouse-over of an object, then dissapear when you move your mouse off it, using Harlowe?

Got things to appear on mouse over or appear on mouse out, but *erasing* the same thing that initially pops up during a different scenario doesn't seem straightforward.
  • DairynGM wrote: »

Regular tooltips work just fine, if you don't mind using CSS. Here's a lovely simple tutorial. Step 1 goes into the passage itself; Step 2 goes into your stylesheet.

If you're wanting to use actual macros from Harlowe to emulate a tooltip, on the other hand... there's a probably an easy way, but I'm more familiar with Twine 1 formats, I'm afraid.