Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Harlowe] How to set different (possibly) variables for easy customization? (Cycling Links?)

edited October 2016 in Help! with 2.0

I'm very new to coding, CSS and the like. I've scoured the web and these forums for the answer to my question, but I can't find it. Or maybe I'm just not looking hard enough. I hope I can find some help here.

In my game, I want to set up some very easy customization. I imagine you could do this by using clickable variables. The idea is that you would have a clickable "link" that wouldn't lead to a different passage: it would just go to the next option and remain on the same passage. An example of this would be if you were having your character choose their eye color, maybe between brown, green, blue and grey.

"Hello traveler! You have brown eyes."

But then, if you click on "brown", it goes to the next option, "green". If that's your eye color, you click a different link ("ok") to take you to the next passage. Then, I can just set the variable $eyecolor to green and use it in the future.

This is used in their angelical understanding by Porpentine. An example is a few passages in, when you're customizing your character: http://aliendovecote.com/uploads/twine/angels/angel.html#48.7a.79

(By the way, I use Harlowe and Twine 2.0, kind of obviously. If you do have an option that uses Snowman or Sugarcube/cane though, those are welcome too!!)

Can anyone help?

Thanks !!

Edit: I saw something after attempting to access the page I refer to in Porpentine's game. Instead of the links, it said (macro not found: cyclinglinks). Are these what they're called? If so, how do I use them?)

Comments